The CZM Authority was established under the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Co-operatives. It is comprised of a Board of Directors appointed by the Minister and a Chief Executive Officer appointed by the Board.
The Authority is an autonomous public statutory body charged with the responsibility of implementing and monitoring policies that govern the use and development of the coastal zone in Belize.
The major functions of the Authority are:
- Advise the Minister on all matters related to the coastal zone, and on the formation of policies
- Assist in development of programmes and projects
- Foster regional and international collaboration
- Commission research and monitoring
- In consultation with stakeholders, assist in preparation of development guidelines and review the CZM Plan prepared in accordance with the Act
- Maintain the national coral reef and coastal water quality monitoring programmes
The Board can appoint special committees to examine and report on any other matters arising from its functions.